Monday, May 12, 2014

Dear Family,

It was so good to talk to you yesterday! I just felt better.
Any way, this week was great! We taught 15 lessons this week! Mostly to less actives, but it was so great to be teaching and they appreciated that we came and many of them want us to come back. Now we just need to get them to church. There are a million excuses of why they don't need to go to church or why they don't go. And when we ask them why they should go, it trumps all of the excuses. So we are working with them. And when they do go to church it is like we had a baptism because they are remaking those commitments and their countenance changes and their spirit is happy. There is a 17 year old boy I helped reactivate and he texted us a couple weeks ago telling us that he was thinking about serving a mission. This was a total 180 of his thoughts 2 months ago.  

On Monday we went to the aquarium it was pretty cool. They have a South America section and when I walked in there I felt like I was back at home (because of the humidity, not the creepy ugly creatures). We also got to see penguins that was cool. Then on Thursday we had an inspirational speaker, her name is Meg Johnson and she is a quadriplegic. She fell off of a cliff in 2004 and her testimony is so strong. She is paralyzed for the rest of her life and her motto is "When life gets too hard to stand just keep rolling." So what I learned from her is to always have a song in our heart. She said that singing brings the Savior quicker than anything else. And I thought about how many times I have sang to bring the spirit into my life. How many times have I sang because I felt alone or I needed comfort. A righteous song in our heart, is a prayer to our Father in heaven.  And I am so grateful for growing up in a family where we sung often.

On Saturday a member in our stake invited a non member family to her home for dinner and to hear a lesson from us and let them ask us questions. This member didn't know this woman very well. All she knew was that she played church ball with her once a week and that she had asked questions. So she prayed and built up the courage to ask her to her home with her family and she said yes! So we had that dinner on Saturday and we shared a scripture in Jacob 4:4 and explained about why the Book of Mormon was written and they had questions. We didn't pick them up as new investigators, but now they are comfortable with talking to missionaries. We succeed when we invite! So we will be stopping by soon to check up on them and see if they have any more questions.

I am grateful for this work and it is so important! I love you all!

-Sister Swain



No comments:

Post a Comment